What is a Carpal Tunnel Wrist Brace
A Carpal Tunnel Wrist Brace is a device used for wrist support that resembles a splint covering the wrist area but leaving the fingers uncovered and it keeps the wrist in a straight or bent back position.
The Wrist Brace is used by those who suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome and the benefits of wearing such a brace are less pressure on the median nerve and it helps reduce the wrist movement that might worsen the carpal tunnel syndrome.
Although it’s called a Carpal Tunnel Wrist Brace it’s not just for those with the syndrome but it can be used by anyone that experiences wrist pain caused by an injury or a weakened muscle.
They are made of light materials that let the skin breath and have adjustable tabs around the wrists and Velcro straps so it can be adjusted to feel comfortable for any hand.
Usually a brace can fit both left and right hands. The best braces have a metal component that is shaped in the form or your palm.
When wearing a brace you should not feel any pressure or discomfort.
A wrist brace is the initial treatment for those diagnosed with the carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) and in most cases it relieves the pain and prevents the need for surgery. The brace works by keeping the hand in a straight neutral position and releases the median nerve from the pressure.
The brace can also be worn while performing everyday tasks, at work and you can even wear it during the night when sleeping.
For maximum efficiency it’s advised that you should start wearing a wrist support as soon as the first symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome occur or if you need to keep your wrists in a neutral position.
Things to Consider When Using a Carpal Tunnel Wrist Brace
There are a few things you should know when wearing a wrist brace:
- If used when sleeping the brace will ease the pain and reduce median nerve pressure.
- You should ask a doctor before using the brace when doing certain jobs. Some jobs may require a need for flexibility or free wrist movement and because the brace keeps your wrist straight it might damage your tendons.
- Wearing a brace for longer periods of time might cause weakness in your muscles and to prevent that you should exercise and progressively increase your hand and wrist movements to help strengthen the hand muscles.
- The brace should be fixed not too large but not too tight either. You should not feel any discomfort on the skin area where the brace fits your thumb.
- If you have your brace fitted by a doctor you should pay attention during the process and ask any questions and make sure you don’t forget the instructions he or she might give you.
- If you keep your wrist brace in your fridge when not in use it will immediately relieve any pain.
- The brace should feel comfortable yet sturdy on your wrist.
- A wrist brace is not expensive at all but if you need to wear one your should do some research and get one from a trusted brand even if it’s a bit more expensive. Cheaper ones may not provide best fitting options which are of vital importance because you need to perfectly adjust the brace on your hand.
- Also pay attention to used materials and make sure you don’t have an allergy to any of them. A good Carpal Tunnel Wrist Brace won’t irritate your hands and will let your skin breathe.
Carpal Tunnel Braces can be bought without a prescription from drugstores or even ordered from online stores. You can also acquire one from a medical supply store with the recommendation of your doctor, in this case an orthopedic doctor.
If you need a personalized brace a therapist can make one for one so it adjusts perfectly on your wrist.
Types of Carpal Tunnel Wrist Braces Available on the Market
There are lots of braces to choose from and we will list a couple of them along with their most important features and characteristics:
- Universal splints are used to support the wrist when performing different activities. They feature Velcro straps for adjustment and come in an ambidextrous design.
- Support braces are used after a wrist injury has occurred and they help healing or prevent further damage.
- Sport Aid come in the form of already shaped aluminum prop ups that can be removed and they are covered in suede.
- Mueller braces have a unique knit and balance the pressure points so you can freely move your hands no matter what activity you might be performing. They’re design is also ambidextrous.
- Ace Plus braces should be used during intense activities if a wrist injury has occurred. They feature fasteners to fit your hand and can hold the wrist in a fixed position if needed.
- Pil- O Carpal Tunnel Wrist Braces can be adjusted to mildly immobilize the wrist, finger and palm in a natural position for a maximal therapeutic effect. These braces are built in such a way that you will be sure not to twist your hand in a damaging position not even when sleeping. Yon adjust the Pil- O braces with Velcro fasteners and a gentle cotton cushioning prevents skin irritations.
Carpal Tunnel Wrist Braces – Benefits
Wearing a wrist brace is the first treatment method that a doctor will recommend after you have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. A brace will release tension in the tissues that will result in improved blood flow that will help your hand muscles and nerves.
When worn during the night it will protect you from unwanted effects of unconscious movements such as wrist twisting and bending or other injuries.
Depending on the severity state of your carpal tunnel syndrome you may experience pain relieve and overall wellness in your wrist and fingers usually after wearing the carpal tunnel wrist brace for only a week.
Once again thats all for now and I hope some of this has helped you understand more about the different types of wrist braces and i really hope you find a cure for your pain that you are experiencing
And i would appreciate it if you would do me a favour and let me know what you think by clicking on one of the share buttons or leaving a comment and telling me if the info was good or bad! –
Thanks again,,, Lee
PS ; Don’t forget If you would like more information on an alternative treatment without surgery here is a really good website that i highly recommend Click Here for more info
Incoming search terms:
- carpal tunnel brace
- carpal tunnel braces
- carpal tunnel wrist brace
- carpal tunnel splint
- wrist braces
- wrist brace carpal tunnel
- carpal tunnel syndrome treatment
- Best Splints For Carpal Tunnel
- best carpal tunnel brace
- device used to support the carpus area